Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 215

    Byron Bay

    November 3, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We are staying just outside Byron Bay in what they call the hinterlands in an Airbnb. We woke to the sun shining through our windows and when we walked out on to the veranda we were met with the most amazing views out over the forest and across to Byron Bay. It was absolutely stunning and a perfect spot for our morning coffee. We hadn't organised any breakfast so we decided to venture into Byron Bay in search of some brekkie. Byron reminds me of Newquay, only a fancier version. It's full of surf shops, surfers and long blonde wavy hair! The parking is equally as bad as it is in Newquay so when we eventually found a parking space (and paid the extortionate $4 an hour ticket) we found a cafe.

    There are a number of beaches in Byron so we asked the waiter which one he recommended. He suggested that we go to Tallow Beach as it was a windy day so it would be a lot nicer there than on the main beach. I'd hate to think what it was like on the main beach as it was like being in a sandstorm in the Sahara desert on Tallow Beach. We braved it for a good couple of hours but called it a day when the sand started to sting as it blew past. We were pretty much the only people on the beach. Everyone else must have thought stupid bloomin tourists, sunbathing in a sandstorm!

    After the beach we headed back to the house for a much needed shower as we were absolutely plastered in sand. It took some scrubbing to wash off and I had to wash my hair twice to get all the sand out. Once we were free of the sand, we headed back into Byron for a drink at the Friendly Railway Bar. Apparently the pub has hosted live music every night of the week for the last 30 years and when we arrived there was a hillbilly band playing. The pub was filled with hippies of all ages and every other male person had long hair. It had a great atmosphere though and we were enjoying the music so we decided to stay there for dinner. Simon has been wanting to try Kangaroo for a while now so he went for the kangaroo burger. I played it safe though and went for chicken.
    Read more