Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 263

    Day 5 - #Thatchersontour - Melbourne

    December 21, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    It's our last day in Melbourne and we don't have any activities planned so whilst the Thatcher clan hit the shops, Simon and I went to the Library on the Dock to check out an art exhibition. The exhibition was called Peace Not War: Art That Takes A Stand and addresses peace, war, violence, homelessness, Indigenous issues, refugees and violence in our society. It was quite a small exhibit with a couple of interesting pieces. I'm not sure if I'm artsey enough to understand most of it but Simon really enjoyed it (he's a changed man).

    The Library on the Dock was in the Docklands area of Melbourne which we haven't been to yet so it was good to check it out. It was a gorgeous morning and the crisp blue skies against the tall buildings alongside the docks was very pretty. We then headed into the city for some lunch. We both fancied a yummy sandwich of some description so we headed to Centre Place, a great little laneway with lots of hole in the wall sandwich type shops. We stumbled across a place called Jungle Juice selling some delicious sounding bagels so we stopped there. Despite being a tiny narrow shop, smaller than our lounge there were around 7 or 8 tables in there, all squished together. Squeezing ourselves around the tiny table and ordering from menus made out of classic children's books made us feel like true Melbournians and the bagels were to die for! Simon went for a Reuben which came packed with salt beef and I opted for a halloumi bagel which had heaps of fresh avocado, delicious! To wash it down I had a apple, watermelon, ginger and mint juice and Simon enjoyed an iced cappuccino.

    Feeling nice and full we headed off to meet the happy shoppers and check out a rooftop bar, aptly named Rooftop Bar! It was on top of a 7 story building so I feel like we got the true rooftop experience.

    We have a very early start tomorrow as we are catching the 6:50am Skybus to the airport so after the rooftop bar we headed back to the apartment to pack.
    Read more