Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 264

    Day 6 - #Thatchersontour - Gold Coast

    December 22, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We were out of the apartment and on our way to the coach station just after 6am. To give the Thatcher's the full travellers experience, we loaded ourselves up with all our luggage and made the 15 minute journey to the station on foot. Whilst we are sad to say goodbye to Melbourne for the final time, everyone is looking forward to some beach time on the Gold Coast.

    We arrived at the airport nice and early so had plenty of time for some brekkie and a quick massage in the massage chairs. We were also offered an emergency exit seat each for no extra charge. Bonza! I have never had the luxury of extra leg room on a plane and it was amazing! If we can somehow wangle that on our flight back to the UK I will be very happy.

    After touching down in Coolangatta airport, we picked up our luggage and the hire car and headed over to the New South Wales / Queensland border for the obligatory tourist pics before heading to our accommodation.

    We are staying in a resort called Sanctuary Cove and the villa is amazing. We have a pool and 2 shiny golf carts to cruise around in which is very exciting. Mandy and Kevin's room is absolutely enormous, with a luxurious ensuite and walk in wardrobe. Just down the road we spotted a shopping centre with a supermarket and some restaurants, so after unloading our luggage we headed out for some lunch and to do a big supermarket shop for the week.

    By the time we got back is was gone 4pm so we decided to give the beach a miss until tomorrow and instead us kiddlywinks took the golf buggies out for a spin. The resort is completely kitted out for buggies and they have their own lane on the side of the road and everything. Whilst we were exploring we happened across a small field completely full of kangaroos which was cool especially for Tom and Lucy who haven't really seen any kangaroos yet. We also made our way down to the Sanctuary Cove Marina which is full of lots of luxury yachts and very posh shops, including a theatre and a golf buggy shop. You don't actually ever need to leave the resort, it's crazy. A dramatic contrast to our usual traveller digs.
    Read more