Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 269

    Day 11 - #Thatchersontour - Sydney

    December 27, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It's now time to head to our final destination of the Thatcher's Christmas holiday down under and our 9 month adventure. It's crazy to think that 2 weeks today we will be touching down in London although I don't want to dwell on that depressing concept too much!

    With our bags all packed, we checked out and headed to the airport, destination Sydney! Sydney is an hour ahead of the Gold Coast so despite the flight only being an hour and a half, we didn't land in Sydney until 3:30pm. After collecting our luggage we all bundled into the shuttle to pick up our hire car. As you can imagine between the 6 of us, we have rather a lot of luggage. We have ordered a 7 seater car but when the lady driving the shuttle bus saw how much luggage we had she was like, I don't think you are going to fit that in the car! We have hired 7 seater cars in both Melbourne and the Gold Coast and had no problem getting the luggage in those so thought nothing of her comment. That was until she brought around the hire car. To start with it didn't look like it was even going to fit the 6 of us in the car, let alone the luggage as there were only 5 seats. Turns out that there are 2 very tiny seats that pop up in the boot! She was right though, there is no way that we are going to get us and the luggage in the car so Tom and Kevin went in the car with the luggage taking up the entire back 5 seats and the rest of us jumped in a taxi.

    The view from our Sydney apartment is absolutely incredible, with panoramic views out over the ocean. It's also only a 10 minute walk to Bondi Beach so an awesome location as well. We didn't have any time for the beach this afternoon though as we were off to the Sydney Opera House to see The Unbelievables. The Unbelievables is a variety show full of comedy, dancing, magic, circus acts and live music. It really was an amazing show and was everything you could expect from a variety show, funny, mesmerising and jaw dropping. One of my particular favourites was the ventriloquist Jay Johnson and his little friend Bob. The sword swallower was also very funny however his act did make me feel a bit queasy, especially when he swallowed 3 swords at the same time. The comedian was hilarious and the all of the circus acts were really impressive, including the quick change act and the sand artist that rearranged sand on a lightbox into lots of iconic sights around the world, to Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World. It was also amazing to not only see the Opera House from the outside but watch a show there too. Thank you Kevin and Mandy for getting us tickets!
    Read more