Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Wind meter dies

    April 3 in Dominican Republic ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Another magical day at sea even though the wind died down (not forecasted) and we had to turn on the engine. We changed course so we are not directly downwind but a wind angle of 125 (and bearing of 273).
    With the light winds we decided to experiment with the whisker pole again and unfurling the geneoa through it. We lounged on the deck for awhile, chatting about past and future sailing plans.
    Then decided to do some naked sailing as it was so hot and no wind! We put out the fishing pole and we’re getting ready to cool off with a bucket bath when a fish jumped on. I reeled the MahiMahi (also known as dolphin or Dorado) in my birthday suit, then proceeded to pour rum on the gills to kill her, and under Brian’s tutelage I cleaned and and fillet the fish. So much meat… and we even preserved the roe.
    After all that we finally took a bucket shower. The winds were starting to get swirly and I was questioning whether the wind indicator was working as it was not reading the same as the vain. Our wind speed indicator had stopped. We still set the sails to the wind indicator, but could not get wing on wing, so gave up.
    We had a beautiful MagiMahi meal with quinoa salad and decided to sleep soon after. The wind had died considerable and we were only travelling at 3-4km it’s, making our ETA 2-3am.
    Instead of taking shifts, we set the radar and AID alarms and both slept, waking every hour to check on the situation.
    When we hit the waypoint, we still had another 5-8miles to travel, and follow nav bouys into our anchorage, just outside the marina.
    The first time we dropped anchor, I felt (only using a flashlight) that we were really close to shore. We lifted and went another 100feet out.
    Once settled we headed to sleep. Brian was out for much longer then I was.
    Read more