Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Driving to Croydon

    September 8, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We left Mt Isa a little late at 7.40 and headed out of town through rocky hills and winding road. Once we turned North we were faced with more headwinds and a very long straight road. The landscape became much more grassy and didn't change as often as it seemed earlier in the trip.

    We stopped at the Burke and Wills Roadhouse for fuel and a stretch. The girls had spent the last hour and a half doing homework so they got a treat and a new DVD for the next stint.

    The road went from good to only one lane of sealed road in long sections. There isn't much traffic up here and we only needed to move off to let people past twice. The landscape was mostly grassy grazing land for the braman cattle. We also saw fields of termite mounds, and I mean by the hundreds. It's really something to see.

    We took a small detour to Normington around 1.30 to check out the Purple Pub Jon had told us about. The plan was to stop for lunch but the kitchen had closed early so it was back in the car and drove down the road to stop and have a bite in the van. Normington is a quiet little town. So very isolated. If you ever wanted to disappear for a while, that's the place to go!

    As we continued on you could see the areas that would be most affected by the wet season. We've crossed countless large, deep river beds completely dry. But with the flood area signs everywhere I can only imagine what this area is like during the wet season.

    We reached Croydon and enjoyed our site by the pool while the girls swam. We've made a few changes to our final weeks, fitting in a caravan park / water park on our way past the Whitsundays!

    Looking forward to a nice quiet evening and a much shorter trip in the car tomorrow.
    Read more