Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Rome Day 2 - Spanish Steps, Ara Pacis

    May 28, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    The Spanish Steps, or Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti in Italian, is an iconic landmark located in the heart of Rome, Italy. This grand staircase connects the Piazza di Spagna at its base with the Trinità dei Monti Church at its top. Constructed in the early 18th century, the Spanish Steps attract both locals and tourists who gather to relax, socialize, and admire the scenic views. The steps themselves consist of 135 individual steps adorned with beautiful flowers and elegant architectural elements. They have served as a meeting place and a backdrop for artistic performances throughout history.

    The Ara Pacis, or Altar of Peace, is a magnificent ancient monument located in Rome, Italy. Built during the reign of Emperor Augustus in 9 BCE, the Ara Pacis is an altar dedicated to the goddess Pax, symbolizing peace and prosperity. The altar is adorned with intricate reliefs depicting various scenes, including mythological figures, historical events, and scenes of abundance and harmony. The reliefs capture the essence of Augustan ideology and celebrate the Pax Romana, a period of relative peace and stability in the Roman Empire. The Ara Pacis stands as a remarkable testament to the artistic and architectural achievements of the time and serves as a reminder of the importance of peace and unity in society. Today, the monument is housed within a modern museum complex that allows visitors to appreciate its beauty and historical significance.

    The Ara Pacis gave us chills. This is where it happened. Where the world turned. Where enough peace was maintained for an empire to spread...but also for the Gospel to make its way safely through the world when the time came.
    Read more