Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Back on the bikes

    November 20, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    This morning, we got back on the bikes to cycle to La Paz. It was quite hard to leave Los Barriles as we had a really good time with Donna and Bill and very much liked the town. However, there's still a long way ahead of us and it won't get any easier to move again.
    On the way to La Paz, we passes some nice mountain villages and stopped at El Triunfo at the famous bakery to get some awesome bread - yum! It was a nice ride with great views. The rain was good for the landscape, everything is green down here and we saw many trees amd bushes with yellow, pink, red, purple, blue, white and orange blossoms. Haven't seen this in a long time...
    Once we got to La Paz, we had to organize our ferry tickets to mainland. It's actually pretty hard to find valid information on the ferry times. We had tried our luck online, but the website of the ferry operators either didn't work, didn't have information at all or showed contradicting information. So we had tried to ask for help in Loreto already, but the Mexicans at the tourist office there didn't understand the information provided either and advised us to go directly to the habour in La Paz (which is 20km outside of the city). When we got here last Saturday, all offices were closed for the weekend. So we checked at a hotel when we were in Los Barriles. The staff was supportive and called the ferry call centre who told us that there's no passenger ferry to Mazatlan at the moment. Only a cargo one which we cannot use, so we'd have to go to Los Mochis, some 450km North of Mazatlan (= 4 days on the bike). That's why we decided to try in person. At the first operator, they confirmed that we'd have to go to Los Mochis, so we went to a second one. At that place, they sold us tickets to Mazatlan on the cargo ferry - no problem at all! Typical Mexican! It doesn't leave before Saturday though, so we have some time to explore the marine life here (whale sharks and sea lions).
    We also passed the 6000km today - wohoo! But Herbert got another flat tire. Roads in La Paz are pretty dirty, so it wasn't a surprise. Luckily, we are staying in a big room in a hotel (first time in a hotel on this trip), so he could fix it straight away.
    Read more