Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Swimming with the whalesharks

    November 21, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    After breakfast in the nice cosy patio of the hotel, we went on a boat tour to see the whalesharks. La Paz is a great place to see them due to its special location in the bay. When the Northern winds come in autumn, they blow all the plancton towards La Paz. There is a big sand strip in front of the city which serves as a kind of net, so the animals can easily find food. And it's only about 15 minutes away from the harbour which makes it easy for the tour operators.
    We met at the tour office at 9, but didn't leave for the landing strip til 9:30am (Mexican times 😉). We already saw many boats heading for the whaleshark zone and were eager to go out as well. Once on the boat, we had to wait a little and cruised around in the harbour, as we were 7th in the line. They whaleshark watching is actually well regulated and only a few boats are allowed in the zone at the same time. Sid, our guide, used the time to explain how to behave in the water and provided some useful information about the area and whalesharks in general. When it was our turn to enter the zone, we were very excited. And we were sooo lucky! We saw plenty of the impressive animals and could snorkel with them 4 times. Sometimes, we were surrounded by 2-4 of those 4-7 metre long whalesharks and didn't know which one to watch first. They even came very close to the boat to show off, so we could take amazing pictures. We really had an awesome time on the boat!
    Back in La Paz, we were totally tired after all the swimming, so we had a lazy afternoon just walking around and doing some grocery and tire-repair-kit shopping. Bed time at 7pm 😂
    Read more