Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Isla Espirito Santo

    November 22, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today, we wanted to check out the second major attraction at La Paz: The sea lion colony at the tip of the island Espirito Santo. We went on a boat trip and headed North towards the island. The wind was pretty strong and blowing from the North, so the boat ride was quite rough and pretty wet when we hit the waves. The people at the front of the boat had no fun at all. After about 30 minutes, we turned around. Apparently, our small support boat couldn't make it against the waves and the current, so we had to toe it for the rest of the trip.
    As we came closer to the Northern tip of the island, the waves got even higher which didn't make it any smoother. The captain did a really good job and we could already see the arch - the rock formation where the sea lions live - , but when some people got too scared and pretty mad, he decided to turn around. We stopped at one of the beautiful bays of the island to have lunch and later at a reef for snorkelling. We also saw some sea lions on a rock close by. They were just sunbathing though and we couldn't stay to watch them, as the wind and waves made it too dangerous. Luckily, we had the waves in our backs on the way back to La Paz, which made it a lot smoother.
    In the end, it was a long day sitting in a boat today - definitely not enough exercise for us 😉
    Read more