Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 145

    Ometepe - a volcanic island

    January 30, 2020 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today, we had some time to explore this beautiful island. We had a bit of a sleep in and had breakfast at our hostel. Then we headed to Punto Jesus Maria, a sand strip with some bars where you can swim and enjoy views of Volcan de Concepción.
    As the breakfast in the hostel was quite small, we had another breakfast stop at a roadside restaurant which also included yummy fresh melon and maracuya juices.
    On the way to our host, we had to go to the Northern side of the island. On the way, we saw interesting trees, monkeys, lots of birds and friendly people. There's almost no traffic on the island, so cycling is fun.
    We arrived at Rolando's at midday. He is turning an old banana farm house into a hostel and lets bike tourists stay there for free. Unfortunately, he wasn't at home so we didn't get the chance to meet, but seems to be a great guy!
    In the afternoon, we explored the Southern part of Ometepe and went to Santo Domingo beach. You really don't need to go to the Caribbean when you have this island in Nicaragua. The water is warm, there's bars, nice beaches and all for much cheaper with less tourists!
    On the way back, I jumped into a river where the locals swim. It was a bit colder than the lake, so quite refreshing after a day of cycling. Back at the farmhouse, we cooked dinner and enjoyed the seaview from the deck. Ometepe is definitely a great place to visit and relax!
    Read more