Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 146

    Relaxing at the Pacific: SanJuan del Sur

    January 31, 2020 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Alarm at 5:30am, on the bikes at 5:55am - new record in the morning. But we had to leave early as the first ferry left at 7:30am from the South side of the island. On the way to the ferry, we enjoyed some last impressions of the islands including its pigs and cows next to and on the street.
    We got to the ferry half an hour before it left which gave us some time to watch the scenes of loading it. 3 big trucks, several cars, motorbikes, our bikes, many people... We couldn't find any information about weight or people limits but are sure the ferry was overloaded. Anyways, the locals didn't seem to bother and we made it to the mainland again without any problems. Costs this time: 50 córdoba for each of us - no harbour tourist tax, no bicycle tax, no additional costs for the bikes like on the way to the island. Interesting policies they have!
    We really enjoyed Ometepe and hope that this little paradise stays as it is. Obviously, the government has granted the Chinese permission to build a second canal like the Panama Canal. According to the plans, this canal should be built right through the lake Cocibolca. However, permission was granted in 2014 and until now they haven't started building anything yet (in 2014, they said it should be finished by 2019...).
    As we made good progress over the past weeks, we decided to stay another day in Nicaragua. The Pacific Coast is only 18km away from the lake, so we went to San Juan del Sur. It's a very nice beachtown, beautiful bay, touristy but neither overcrowded nor overpriced. We spent the afternoon at the beach, had a local beer and icecream and stocked up food for Costs Rica which is supposed to be really expensive.
    Read more