Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 189

    Extended stay in Colombia

    March 14, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    When we woke up at 6am, there was no running water. As this has happened before, we decided to sleep a little longer as waiting usually solves the problem. And indeed, at 7:30am, the water was back on.
    We had breakfast and started our cycling day by pushing the bikes out of Aratoca because the roads were too steep to ride. Back on the main road, we could get back on the bicycles, and continue our trip to San Gil. It was a nice and easy ride with some climbing at the beginning but a great and long downhill into the town. The scenery was cool as well and we heard the crazily loud noise of grasshoppers most of the time.
    We only cycled about 30km today as we are taking it slowly at the moment. Due to the Coronavirus, South American countries are closing their borders to foreigners. So we figured we may as well take our time to see more of Colombia. Our visa does not expire until end of May and there's heaps to see and bike here.
    In San Gil, we checked into a hostal. Here, we also heard the expected news that Ecuador will close its borders tonight, Peru on Monday. So I guess we'll really have some more time to explore this diverse country.
    The town seems to be a backpackers' mekka, you can do all adrenaline stuff such as rafting, bungee jumping, paragliding, caving, canyoning... We just went for a walk around the town with its crazily steep roads, checked out a view point and the central square, did some chores and cooked dinner at the hostal.
    Read more