Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7 | Florence, Italy

    July 11, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Visit: Medici Chapel - two structures at the Basilica of San Lorenzo, Florence, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries, and built as extensions to Brunelleschi's 15th-century church, with the purpose of celebrating the Medici family, patrons of the church and Grand Dukes of Tuscany. The "New Sacristy" was designed by Michelangelo.

    Visit: Uffizi Gallery - an art museum located in Florence, and is one of the oldest and most famous art museums in the world.

    Visit: Florence's Cathedral, the Duomo - a vast Gothic structure built on the site of the 7th century church of Santa Reparata. Florence's cathedral is the 4th largest in the world, after St. Peter's in Rome, St. Paul's in London and the Duomo in Milan.

    Visit: Baptistery of St. John - The exterior of the Baptistery is currently undergoing restoration which should be completed by early September 2015. We could pretty much only see The Gates of Paradise. These were the front door/entrance and they received their name by Michelangelo who is believed to have exclaimed: "they are so beautiful that they would be perfect for the gates of paradise". The doors consist of 10 rectangular panels, displayed in two lines. They depict scenes of the Old Testament from left to right and from top to bottom.

    Visit: Accademia Gallery - or "Gallery of the Academy of Florence", is the second most popular art museum in Florence and is home of Michelangelo's sculpture 'David'. What a magnificent piece of work.

    Lunch: Bondi (There Is A Difference)
    Dinner: Subway
    Snacks: Marco Ottaviani Gourmet Gelato; Cannoli

    Temp: High 92 / Low 77
    Pedometer: 5.3 miles
    Read more