Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22–25

    Kinloch 3

    April 29 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Our last night here for this trip and mother nature celebrated with cracking frost this morning! See the pic of the ute windscreen.
    After breakfast, Paul went to see if there were any fish in the lake and apparently there aren't any!!!
    Again I packed a lunch and we drove down to the Greenstone and Elfin Bay. We walked in a wee way on the Caples track and had lunch after which Paul discovered that there are also no fish in the river!!
    We were in amongst the trees and, while it was cold it was very pretty. We spotted some interesting fungus too, not to mention the sandflies the size of blackbirds that failed to read the memo that informed them they should stay away from people soused in insect spray - a good one!!!
    On our way back to the camp two deer ran across the road (1 did yesterday as well and I forgot to mention it in that post). Too quick for a photo.
    We had plenty of time left in the day so we carried on to Glenorchy and tiki toured around there for a while. Found the community hall where I attended my first dance (NYE) at the ripe old age of 12! I remember being so excited and nervous, but loving every minute of it!
    We ended up in the pub for some beer and fries. While there a bunch of Americans arrived and were fascinated by the game of rugby on the TV. They had no idea what was going on and were grateful for our explanation!
    Back at the caravan now and in the morning we'll head out to Lumsden with a stop for emptying and refilling, laundry, groceries and lunch with Maureen and Mike Hansen. Can't wait!!
    Read more