Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15 Sedie Junior Secondary School 4

    October 6, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Today was a very different sort of day, in all aspects. We were not expected at Sedie until 9.00 so we had a lie-in and a later breakfast. We travelled to Sedie in three safari-style jeeps.

    It was not a normal school day for the local students either. The school had been transformed, with a marquee and chairs, in preparation for a memorial service and many guests from outside the school were expected. Ten years ago a football championship Sedie School team clinched the national trophy in Gaberones but on the return home tragedy struck. The bus and another vehicle collided and seven on the Sedie bus were killed.

    Today, after an extensive programme, a memorial at the front of the school was unveiled. There were speeches, prayers, hymns, dances (polka) and a poem. Among the various speakers were the School Head, the Chairwoman of the local ward, and representatives of the Football team and organisation. There was a larger crowd but it stayed focused for the most part during the 4.5 hour ceremony. Speakers tried to include Oxley by speaking English if they could and our group recognised the importance of the occasion by remaining attentive.

    At the end of the ceremony we were all given lunch by the school, including the local speciality of crushed beef. It was most welcome.

    The Sedie students, realising that our visit was coming to an end, crowded into the marquee to talk to us. Some group dancing occurred off to one side. There was plenty of emotion in the farewells and many followed us out to our truck and jeep as we left. We also said farewell to many of the friendly staff who had made us most welcome during our visit.

    We arrived back at Sitatunga late afternoon on an exhausting day but energy levels rose as the swimming pool filled up.
    Read more