Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14. Sedie JSS & Mathiba PS 3

    October 5, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    A sleepy start to the morning but everyone was breakfasting by 6.45. The truck and jeep arrived on time and we were dropped off at Sedie School some time after 8.00.

    At Sedie we were split up into classes and attended lessons with our buddies. These lessons included Social Studies and Moral Education.

    In the meantime Peter Craig was assisting School Head, Mrs Senatla Mokobela, organise her travel to Australia and she and another Sedie teacher will be visiting Oxley for two weeks in a month's time.

    After the morning break, the whole group walked to Mathiba Primary where they were rather unexpectedly allocated Standard 4 classes to teach. Credit where credit is due, and the Oxley students got stuck in and gave it their best shot.

    Lunch occurred in the shade of the school Reception area (it was another hot day) and students from both schools intermingled and there was even some singing from Claire and Mya.

    In the afternoon we participated in a sad, but important, occasion. A Mathibe Standard 4 student, Ayanda, was killed in a car crash on Botswana Independence Day (last Saturday) . The school students and staff, parents, two pastors and the Oxley group participated in a ceremony under the trees that involved acapella singing of hymns and a long sermon by one pastor and a fiery one by another. In such a large gathering of primary students (over a thousand) there were many who struggled to concentrate but the service did affect a few close friends.

    On the way back to camp we shopped in Choppies for water and snacks. The swimming pool was soon full of Oxley students as we relaxed on our return. A good dinner followed and then we were exposed to our first thunder storm with lightning which chased everybody off to their tents.
    Read more