Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Mokoros & the Okavango delta

    October 6, 2018 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Probably the best night of our trip - cool but not cold - and everybody slept well. By 6.00 the camp was astir and packing items into their backpack for our mokoro safari into the delta. Tents and mattresses came with us while our suitcases remained in the truck with Laban at Sitatunga.

    We loaded up 2 vehicles (a truck carrying 16 of us plus camping gear, and a Jeep plus trailer brought the rest). The trip to the nearest point of the Okavango delta at Boro took us through Maun and northwards before turning westward along a twisting dirt road. The whole journey took us 1.5 hours.

    At Boro we loaded up 17 mokoros with passengers, camping gear, and food, and were poled for 2 hours through narrow channels in the reeds to the island on which we camped. On the way we saw Maribou storks, water lilies and a pod of hippos in a lagoon.

    We settled in by putting up our tents and then it was time for lunch. It was an extremely hot afternoon and we relaxed in the shade, reading, playing cards or games, swimming or napping.

    As the afternoon cooled, we broke up into 4 groups and with a guide walked into the interior of the island looking at local fauna and flora. In the course of our 1.5 hour walk we saw a herd of elephants reasonably close and buffalo, wildebeest and zebra in the distance. On our return, walking into the dying sun, a reedbuck went passed us.

    Back for dinner around the campfire. Munya had done another great job. After dinner we sat around talking before heading for bed.
    Read more