Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    A game-viewing walk & a mokoro sunset

    October 7, 2018 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    A really sleepy group slowly emerged from 5.30 in preparation for this morning’s walk. Morning tea/coffee and rusks to start the day. Everybody carried plenty of water.

    We walked in groups of 7 or 8 with a guide I in front and an associate at the rear. Within a few minutes we had seen a group of 4 giraffes and then, in the course of the walk, hippo (in pools) lechwe, impala, reedbuck, zebra, warthog, wildebeest and baboons.

    After 2 hours of walking we had a break before making our way back to camp. The island we walked on was generally flat grasslands with occasional termite mounds. There were occasional palms, sausage trees, and mapani and then reeds and grass around the pools from which the early summer heat was causing the waters to recede.

    In all, our walk lasted 4 hours and the brunch we returned to was most welcome. Munya had done a great job. After that we retreated to the shade to relax, to doze, read, or play cards with the polers.

    Late afternoon a few were taken by the polers to a pool where they could take a refreshing, and cleansing, swim.

    Just before sunset we all travelled in our mokoros to a large pool and we sat on the reed periphery watching a pod of hippos cavorting and kingfishers dive-fishing as the sun went down. It was a beautiful scene. After the golden globe dropped below the horizon the colours in the sky reddened.

    After dinner around the campfire, a space was cleared, the fire stoked up and we were treated to some local singing and dancing. It was great fun with some of us joining in; particularly the frog dance.

    In return, Oxley managed several group songs including a interesting rendition of the school song and the national anthem.

    It had been a very hot day but everyone coped.
    Read more