Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Griffith Observatory & a theatre trip

    February 9, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We left the Dodger stadium and drove a short distance for a quick pit stop at Walmart and also to get some fuel. From there we headed off to the Griffith Observatory which gives a great view of the whole of Los Angeles and the Hollywood sign.

    The weather was really warm and temperatures around 29° C and despite it being a Wednesday there were lots of people enjoying the grassy area around the observatory. The observatory itself was closed but we were still able to wander around and get some great shots of the area and have a look right over Los Angeles.

    From here we headed back to the hotel as it was now mid-afternoon and spent a couple of hours relaxing by the pool. We got us all ready for the 'wine hour' and after that walked out of the hotel and towards the place where we were going to eat this evening before our trip to the theatre.

    Carmine's is based in the W hotel and we had a lovely meal before needing to head across the road to the Pantages theatre where we had booked to see Hamilton.

    After showing our Covid passes we were letting in to the theatre and were impressed by the opulence of the decor. The Pantages theatre used to host the Oscars ceremony in the 1950s. The seats had a great view, but the air conditioning seemed to be an overdrive!

    It was an interesting experience seeing a live production in the USA. The audience were far more interactive than you might get in the UK and I for one. I'm not entirely sure that it enhanced the experience!

    The musical itself was well produced but by half time we decided that it wasn't really our thing and so we headed back to the hotel for a nightcap.
    Read more