Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Solvang to Morro Bay.

    February 10, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    It took about an hour to drive to Pismo beach. As its name suggests this is a beach town and our impression was very much of one being similar to a tourist resort in the UK.

    Just along the coast from here there are huge sand dunes that you can drive over and rent all-terrain vehicles. We didn't do this! However, we did get to the beach and were amazed to see that not only are vehicle's allowed on the beach but also the size of the vehicles that were being driven. It appears that people will take their motorhomes and drive along and spend the night on the beach and presumably messing around on the sand dunes. Once again the views were stunning and we both paddled in the Pacific Ocean.

    We grabbed an ice cream and drove the short distance to our next stop which was the Madonna Inn. This is a gaudily decorated roadside inn where you can stay or just have food or drink. Now it was after 5 and the sun was starting to go down and so we had a quick drink before our final section to Cambria, with a quick stop at Morro bay.

    The town of Morro bay was really pretty only let down by a large factory that is situated right on the waterfront. We had a quick wander around the wharf area and watched as the sun got low in the sky listening to the barking of the seals in the lagoon.
    Read more