Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Tokyo day 2, part 3

    March 27 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We took the metro to the Skytree and spent ages trying to find the entrance. We could see that we needed to change our voucher for a ticket at 4pm so had a quick cheap meal of noodles in the food court of the Skytree complex. They were delicious although it will take a bit more practice to eat noodles with chopsticks!

    We arrived at the entrance to the Skytree at 3.45 and despite having skip the line tickets, found ourselves in a 30 minute queue to get the tickets. More queues later and we were at the first of the upper decks at 350m. The views were spectacular although sadly by now Mount Fuji was shrouded in cloud.

    We waited in another queue to visit the upper level at 450m high. (The Skytree is the new telecoms tower and, apparently, the tallest tower in the world.)

    After finishing viewing the sights e caught the lost back down and then a metro back to the hotel which took almost an hour. By the time we arrived back at the station or was dark.

    At the hotel we had a quick break before heading out for a drink or two and some food in Shinjuku. This was the Tokyo I expected to see with bright neon lights and lots and lots of people.

    Many of the bars in the Golden Gai area are small (and a little bit seedy) but we had an enjoyable evening with dinner Japanese style tapas and beers before walking back to the hotel for a night cap in the room. No wonder my legs felt tired after 24,000 Stroud and almost 13 miles walked!
    Read more