Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Tokyo, day 3 - Fish market walking tour

    March 28 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After breakfast we left the hotel and caught the subway to a station to meet a small group walking tour of the old fishmarket area, a cluster of small roads which when we walked amongst them were heaving with many of the places to eat (on the street) having long queues!

    The tour started at 11 when we met our guide. The first stop was a Buddhist temple, Tsukiji Honganji. We heard how it had been rebuilt a couple of times. The inside was the usual temple style with bright gold decoration.

    Next week moved on and spent the next hour or so wandering the crowded streets with the guide as he pointed out various stalls selling all sorts of food and quite a lot of tat! Along the way we tried some samples including sake (very nice) and grilled eel (not so nice!). The wholesale fish market moved a few years ago but the area remains very popular with locals and tourists alike!

    At around 12.30 we stopped for lunch at a small place and whilst the food was delicious, neither Ed or me were very hungry after a large breakfast!

    After lunch we walked to one of the many tall buildings and went up to the 46th floor for a birds eye view of the area. It was clear to see the large area left by the demolition of the old fishmarket but sadly far views were not amazing as it was quite misty.

    The tour ended here and Ed and I stayed at the top for a beer and to regroup.
    Read more