Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Tokyo to Mount Fuji

    March 29 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Another fitful night of sleep and winding if I'll ever shake off this jet lag.

    The weather this morning when we woke was wet and very windy... Very similar to what we might have expected at home. The promise though was off better weather in the afternoon.

    Given the weather we decided to have a chilled morning and a slightly later check out before walking from the hotel to Shinjuku station to catch a train to our destination for the next couple of days, Mount Fuji.

    Fortunately, by the time we started walking the rain had stopped, although it was still windy. At the station we bought some tickets for later in the trip and then headed up the platform to catch the train.

    The service was not a bullet train (that will wait for another day) but it was still absolutely on time and spotlessly clean.
    The journey to our first change was just under an hour and at Otuski we changed trains to get a local train to Mount Fuji. Fortunately the weather was better and by the time we arrived.

    We got off the train at an amusement park, complete with roller coasters although we declined to take part! We walked the short distance to our hotel and checked in.. The hotel is clean and tidy but very different to our previous one.

    We walked from the hotel to a viewing point (on top of a shopping centre) of mount Fuji. Next week walked to an area that was highlighted as having bars and restaurants. It would be in understanding to try that it was deserted... It felt very much like an out of season British seaside - nothing was open. So, we decided to walk back to the hotel for a beer before having dinner at the hotel.

    The hotel restaurant is a BBQ affair and we both managed to make a decent effort at cooking.

    Decided to have an early night tonight in the hope that sleep comes easily before a fun packed day in the Mount Fuji area!
    Read more