Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Orléans Rest Day

    June 18, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Housework done, we set out to explore Orléans. Our accommodation is superbly placed a few hundred metres from the Loire Á Velo and inside the ancienne ville.
    Wandering through the beautifully presented old town streets of Orléans, brought us to La Maison de Jeanne D'Arc, an excellent replica (the original was bombed in WW2) of Joan of Arc's half-timbered home in Place General De Gaulle. Nearby, in Place du Martroi is a cast bronze statue of the lady herself and only a short walk from there is the Cathedral Sainte-Croix. The gothic cathedral, flying buttresses, obligatoire gargoyles and all, has to be described as magnificent. It was originally built in the 13th century. Mass was underway when we visited, but clearly a very tolerant approach to tourists had been adopted. The dimensions and decorations make this a church worth a visit.
    Next, we toured Hotel Groslot, the sumptuous, renaissance private residence, where 17 year old King Francois 2nd died in 1560. Now it can be booked for weddings.
    Lunch in a small 'place' under a shady tree with a glass of rosé completed our Orléans sightseeing.
    When we got back to our Airbnb our key would not open the door to the courtyard. Fortunately the neighbors were just arriving home and noticed is having trouble. They said we weren't the first ones it had happened to. The man very kindly went through their apartment and climbed the high back wall to let us in.
    Read more