Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Paray le Monial to St Maurice

    June 27, 2017 in France ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    We navigated on quiet country roads the first 10km to St Yan. From there a brand new rail trail runs for 25km of the way towards Roanne - it was shady and relaxing. The last 25km, Pat had us on very quiet country roads. We arrived in Roanne by about 12.30, expecting to use our early check-in offer, but the accommodation renigged, so we waited for standard check-in at 2pm, only to find they could offer no refrigeration for my medicine (1st time for everything, I guess). A bit disgusted by this time and having had a look at the pretty ordinary city, we decided to push on.
    The positive was we pushed on to Saint Jean and Saint Maurice Sur Loire. What a heavenly spot! Perched atop a little mountain, these two mediaeval villages are authentic and the views are divine. Overlooking Lac de Villarest and surrounded by hills, these villages are reminiscent of Tuscan hilltop towns or Motovun,in Istria. The churches are the romanesque style, dating back to 11th & 12th century and lots of the buildings look like they have stood for many centuries- solid rock. Bell-ringing is a particular feature of the churches in this area! Our room, at L'Echauguette, is beautiful, decorated with antiques,spacious and a welcome haven from the storm that is raging outside. We just made it back to St Maurice, from our Saint Jean pizzeria, ahead of a big storm front - thunder and lightning are rattling the windows as I write.
    Today 79km, 470m climbing. Total 910km
    Read more