Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2 - Carentan to Bayeux, 40 miles

    April 17, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    After a great French breakfast in the B&B (I'm going to eat a lot of croissants, ham and cheese on this trip!) it was an early start in glorious sunshine to head round the Normandy coast visiting the historic sites from World War 2 and the D-Day landings. The highlight (not really the right word but I'm sure you know what I mean) was the American War Cemetry where over 9,000 soldiers are buried. Incredibly moving place and somewhere that really makes you realise how lucky we are.

    For anyone who has not been the Normandy coast is stunning. Omaha beach has to be one of the most incredible beaches I've ever seen. Goes on for miles with prefect flat sand. Crazy to think what happened there a little over 70 years ago.

    Today wasn't really about the riding or weather or anything else so after a very moving day I headed to Bayeux which turns out to be a beautiful small place with a large cathedral in the centre. Accommodation was in a lovely old house right in the centre of town. After heading out for a burger and a pint and turning down the advances of Nancy a 50 year old American tour guide it was time for bed.
    Read more