Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9 - Nantes to Pornic, 52 miles

    April 24, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    After last night's festivities it was a bit of a slow start with plenty of coffee with breakfast. It was also time to say goodbye to the German as he carried on his 6 month adventure by heading North. Today's ride took me along the last stretch of the Loire a Velo before it joined the Atlantic Highway EuroVelo 1 route that actually runs from Norway to Portugal (maybe next year's trip!). After leaving Nantes and crossing the Loire via the ferry at Coueron it was a flat ride to the Atlantic at Saint-Brevin-Les-Pins. It might have been flat but my nemesis 'the head wind' was back and an open 12 mile dead straight stretch along a canal became pretty boring pretty quick.

    After eventually reaching the coast after what seemed like a whole day riding but in reality was only a couple of hours it was time to head south to Pornic following the Atlantic Highway cycle route that would meanander from beach town to beach town through pine forests and camp sites. Have to admit was good to get to the coast and mix the riding up.

    After a good days ride even with the hangover and headwind I arrived into Pornic for the evening which is a stunning little harbour town with a real French riveria feel to it with expensive houses and a small marina.

    The day however wasn't without its problems and a nasty little niggle in my knee got worse as the day went on and despite feeling good and wanting to ride all day every day I may need to listen to my body on this one and take a day or two off the bike especially with 9 weeks still to go. Very frustrating.

    With ice on the knee and a belly full of pizza and a very nice rose wine (I know!) it was time for bed.
    Read more