Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day 33-Aiguines to Castellane, 35 miles

    May 18, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Wow what a day! If you have not been here you have to add Gorge du Verdon to your list. Only 55 miles from Nice and it is one of the most stunning places I have ever been and to ride it on the trusty Condor made it even more special. MJ big thanks for the recommendation!

    Unless you have been here the scale does not come across in the photos. It's called the Gran Canyon of Europe and for a good reason. The ride as a result was not easy with over 500 meters of climbing in the first 6km out off Aiguines alone. With sections over 10% and with fully loaded panniers it certainly gets the blood pumping.

    From here it is one stunning view point after another as the road follows the gorge/canyon about half way up. About half way the south side that I rode dives in land then picks the caynon back up at river level giving stunning views looking up. You eventually reach Castellane which is dominated by a huge rock with a chapel at the top.

    A real thought provoking day and a ride I won't forget in a hurry. After a few incredible days on the bike it's a day off tomorrow. So what better way to spend it than go white water rafting through the canyon I've just riden along.
    Read more