Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Day 53 - Interlaken to Lucerne, 56 miles

    June 7, 2016 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    I didn't think yesterday would be beaten but has given it some though competition.

    Following the advice of a local I took the northern route round Lake Brienz rather than follow the No.9 cycle route and in think either side is fine the views from the North were incredible. With the turquoise waters of the lake, snow capped mountains and waterfalls cascading down the steep slopes it was a stunning start to the ride. It's actually hard riding these sections as all you want to do is stop and take photos and take it in. The first 10 miles today took me over an hour!

    At the end of the lake or was time for the Brunigpass that takes you up and over to the next valley. This was a serious climb and when youre getting thumbs up by drivers passing you for encouragement and I think surprise it was great satisfaction when you reach the top as you know you've got 30 plus miles to Lucerne of mostly downhill to enjoy.

    After the great views up in the sunshine this is where the weather here can change soo quickly. The next valley was thick cloud and slight drizzle. It did break on reaching Lucerne but shame some of views were obscured by the clouds.

    Lucerne is a beautiful town on lake of the same name. Surrounded by mountains it is everything you imagine a town in Switzerland to be like. Beautiful buildings, old wooden bridges and people sat on the streets eating and drinking everwhere. As I finished dinner and walking round the lake back to my hostel a full brass band were playing by the shoreline, next to them were people playing bowls and behind them the mountains and lake where some people were having a late evening sail. Without sounding too soppy it was pretty damn romantic. After taking it all in for a bit it was back to the hostel and my bunk bed!
    Read more