Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Day 67-Rotterdam to Vlissingen, 74 miles

    June 21, 2016 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Don't let the first photo deceive you as today was a brutal ride. There's more of clue in the 4th photo and unfortunately it wasn't in my favour. After all the climbs and mountains of the Pyrenees and Alps the flattest country on my trip delivered possibly the hardest ride especially mentally.

    After leaving Rotterdam you are immediately exposed to the elements as with a completely flat country there is no hiding place. Riding down the coastline across the flood defences that connect the headlands and protect the country it is very beautiful scenery with huge sky's and on a good day would be massively rewarding for a cyclist. Today though I guess the reward was just getting through it.

    A constant drizzle all morning and with a brutal head wind it was tough going. A much needed break was had in the very cool Natural High beach bar and re-energised I cracked on with the last 30 miles trying to enjoy the ride. Then with only 5 miles left the weather broke the clouds cleared and the sun came out and I was rewarded with a beautiful ride along the canal into Vlissingen and along the coast. Like getting a birdie down the last after playing terrible for the first 17 holes, the love was back and fingers crossed I get a dry sunny ride to Brugge tomorrow!
    Read more