Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 354

    Rain, Ants, Flies, Rain, Castles....

    May 24, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today we slept through our alarm, the sound of rain lulling us back to sleep (subconsciously not wanting to face the reality of packing up a wet tent!)

    Our next surprise was our new housemates, a whole troop of ants had sought refuge in our front porch. Poor little soggy ants. Thankfully they hadn't helped themselves to our breakfast so we peacefully evicted them.

    The rain then played some more games with us. We managed to get some of the tent dry and ready to be packed when the next deluge of rain fell. Rain jackets on, we got on with it anyway, helpfully ticked to death by flies as we tried to pack.

    The next decision of the day - sweating in a rain jacket or getting wet and hoping to dry out!😅

    The Danube cycleway continued as before with its sweeping curved valleys, castles on the hilltops and friendly community of biker-pilgrims. Today with the added bonus of cycling through a vineyard and a poppyfield.

    We decided to camp in Zwetschendorf which has a very amenable community- owned campsite (cheaper prices than many of the big campsites) and just 3 x pods of cycle tourists here including us.
    Read more