Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 355

    Vienna - PacMan Day!! WackaWackaWacka

    May 25, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today was going to be bakery morning day. With rumbling stomachs we packed up our gear in slick time and made our way through the empty village streets to the bakery and spa shop in our GPS.(we noticed we can cycle much better on a heavy breakfast than we can on more regular light meals/ snacks in the morning).

    Not a soul in sight. As we had passed a nuclear power plant en route to last night's campsite, I did wonder if something had happened overnight ....😅

    The shops opening times were clearly displayed and we walked up and down the door sensors a few times to check we weren't imagining things in our hungry state. The penny dropped when Peter's dad sent a message wishing us a happy bank holiday from the day before! Ooopss.

    Like a pacman in search of food we made our way along the cycle path noting each of the "snack bar 200m" signs that there was an abundance of. Strangely for a bank holiday, all were closed....

    We eventually found an open one in a guesthouse where we were able to buy a breakfast platter, despite arriving one hour before opening time.

    Feeling energised, we made our way to Vienna. Being a pinnacle city on the Danube cycle route we both found it hugely disappointing. Lacking charm and character, the centre surrounding the Danube was a concrete jungle, full of grafitti tags. We were glad to use the opportunity to buy a Woodfired pizza and get out into the countryside again.

    Tonight is a wildcamp-esque site. A designated camp ground but no facilities, but its free and we're the only people camping here. There's someone else with a dog across the other side of the field, he's half in camo-gear so I can't see him. Just a red top! ;) Not sure if he's staying though.

    Our campsite is funded by the EU. Sucks to be English right now!
    Read more