Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Hue - DIY City Tour day

    June 29, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Wednesday 28th June
    * After the full-on day yesterday it was a day to ease back a little and enjoy the city.
    * Justin - personally I think he got to thinking about the old emperor too much and decided today was his day to be emperor. As his room is on the top floor, he spent much of his day giving royal orders to his workers back home, while here he sent his minions out to buy orange juice for his pleasure. Lucky we were allowed to see his face, in the old days no-one was allowed to look at the emperors' face, or be beheaded!
    * Ross & Therrie also got on the royal thinking - taking a boat across the river to then explore the Dong Ba Markets, where anything & everything can be purchased, from fresh produce (figurative term as the temp was 36C and there is no refrigeration) to materials, to homewares, spices, food stalls and souvenirs. After that mayhem they strolled back across the river, enjoying the coolish breeze.
    * Louisa, Sue & Peter took the peasant tour, walked south to check out a nearby supermarket, which was pretty similar to all supermarkets. Quite a bit dearer than the markets but still cheap compared to home (given the products are very similar). Interesting in the meat section, almost no beef, a bit of chicken, plenty of duck, pork and seafood and featured a nice display of frogs, all skinned & ready to cook. Peter gained a close shadow (Store security man) when he was looking in the liquor section, definitely NO photos here. Wine is expensive - Jacobs Creek for about A$40/bottle. Bought some snacks (& Justin's juice) and wandered back through some back streets, offices & expensive housing area but we did stop for coffee and had some delicious ice coffee for aboutA$2.70 for 3.
    Dropped the stuff at the hotel before also walking over to the Dong Ba markets - was pretty quiet - everyone was having a siesta before the afternoon shift. Still plenty to see but we made no purchases.
    * All convened for a late lunch at a nearby lunch shop, enjoying some local specialties and a cool beer.

    Time to relax for a while, there was thunder about an we expected a storm, but this passed us by but the day was very hot & humid.

    Ross enjoyed another massage before we got together at Zucca's restaurant for dinner, enjoying traditional Vietnamese Pizza & Rissoto and Italian red wine. We also drank a toast to Maurice who passed away this day last year.

    To finish the day we had a walk along the riverside where they have night markets, mostly food stalls and souvenirs. The temperature was quite pleasant now, much cooler.

    Highlights
    * Dong Ba markets;
    * Walk across the bridge / river;
    * Delicious iced coffee for very little $
    * Lunch - different style to previous Vietnamese lunches.

    About 36C again and >60% RH and threat of rain.....
    Read more