Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Super Saturday in Hoi An

    July 2, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    Saturday July 1
    The heat is starting to tell with a bit of reluctance to get going. Peter went for an early walk and then returned to the Ancient Town with Louisa while it was still fairly quiet, just locals setting up their stalls, a couple of busloads of Contiki Tourists (can tell by their hungover looks & sweaty faces) and a few early starters. Then the busloads of Korean tousists turned and and the whole place suddenly got busy. We all got together at lunchtime (Therrie & Ross returned to Phi's Manh Bi for another roll) before we went off to Be Be's for the final fitting. Sue & Louisa's only took a few minutes but Ross's suit took longer, no problem as it was cool inside the shop.
    That done, it was time to find a pub to watch the Rugby - NZ vs Lions. Found 1 pub but it was full so had to go another 1 km to find the other one, which was good, they had an upstairs room set up like a mini cinema with 1 whole wall as the screen. Best thing was every few minutes the staff would come in an get orders for more cold beer and snack food orders. Result wasn't so good but a fun way to get out of the heat.
    Sue & Therrie had returned to the hotel pool so were pretty cool when we got back. A couple of drinks and then we headed out for our last meal in Hoi An. Back into the Ancient Town area and it was packed, there were buses everywhere and the street were just full of people. Luckily we found a nice little restaurant in a back alley and had some quiet before back into the crowds and returned home early, ready for an early start tomorrow.
    As planned the clothes from the tailor's were delivered to our hotel by about 9.30pm.

    Highlights
    * seeing the town while it was still cool & quiet;
    * Getting the clothes finished;
    * Watching the rugby in the 3 Dragons pub;
    * Last look at the lanterns in Hoi An, night.

    Still very hot 36C & high humidity, cooler at night
    Read more