Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    St Gilgan

    September 23, 2015 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Our hotel in Salzburg wasn't anything particularly special, but the room was really big compared to what we have had so far and it was in a really good spot. It was easy for us to walk to the bus stop where we caught a bus to St Gilgan, a tiny town on lake Wolfgangsee. Very cloudy and a bit of drizzle when we arrived, but again our hotel was fairly close to the bus stop and we managed to walk it ok.

    The hotel was interesting - almost a BnB as I think the breakfast was automatically included with a booking. Kniick-knack heaven you could say, with an alpine twist. We settled in and disregarding the less than spectacular weather decided to grab a ride on the cable car. As you may be able to tell from the photo, this wasn't the greatest idea. We are talking a very long cable car here and while the ride was ok there really wasn't much to see or do at the top. You could barely see the person standing next to you let alone any sign of the lake. The cable cars coming up after us materialised out of the cloud like the tardis.

    The town was very pretty though. WE wandered around the town which was small enough to cover in an afternoon. We figured we would get a better day ahead.and we scored really well for dinner. Tripadvisor came in handy again and sent us off in search of a restaurant which sounded good. We had a bit of trouble finding it, but it more than lived up to our hopes and would have to be one of our favourite restaurants from the whole trip which was certainly unexpected.
    Read more