Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Schloss Sanssouci

    October 10, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    How many ways are there to say palace - more than you might think. We had one of those perfect days that come along when you are travelling and the stars align. Having settled into Berlin on our first day with a tour jam packed with history and sights, we decided to head off to Potsdam today to visit Frederic the Great's summer palace, Sanssouci. No history lessons here, but it seems like Frederic the Great was really .... Great. According to our guide from the first days, he was one of the few historical figures to actually be called 'Great' while he was still around to appreciate it. He didn't mind a good fight and put his dad's vast army to good use, but he also valued art, science and culture - and having a good time. He set up a university and invited the best scholars from around Europe to come and study. And if that wasn't enough he seems to have been a pretty good politician as well.
    One thing for sure, his summer palace is Devine. Not a huge monstrosity - elaborate, but not ridiculous and the whole thing blending in so well in the huge garden around it. The vineyard in the front yard is gone but most if it is lovingly restored and tended. It was easy to get to, easy to get around and the weather was just perfect - if a bit chilly. It seems others approved of his choice because there are at least 6 palaces scattered around the place and he didn't build them all. He was much influenced by Roman and Greek architecture and even had some ruins built which were visible in the distance from the palace.

    All in all a fabulous day in Potsdam.
    Read more