Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Lago Grey Glacier Boatride

    March 30, 2018 in Chile

    My last day at the ecocamp was spent with a 1.5hr bus ride to Lago Grey and then a 3 hour boatride to the glaciers. We went past los Cuernos (the horns), which are these magnificent, towering mountains with spiky black towers. They looked a bit like Mordor from LOTR.

    We had an extremely windy and wet half hour walk across a black pebbled beach to get to the boat. Thank goodness for the waterproof everythings! The Shanghainese guy who was with us had his trousers all soaked.

    Saw a couple of rainbows during the day! 🌈🌈
    Sat in front of a Swiss couple and was listening to their conversation with a Chilean older man. I understood quite a bit of it! Hopefully my Spanish is somewhat improving. I’ve learnt that ‘Sipo’ is a purely Chilean way of saying and emphasising ‘yes’ in Spanish. Almanece is sunrise in Spanish.

    Anyway, the glaciers were SO blue... it’s something to do with less oxygen being trapped in them, that makes them appear bluer.

    Overall, I loved the Ecocamp experience. Everynight we’d have dinner with the group who we’d spent the day with. People were very warm and the ecodomes were cosy.
    Read more