Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Machu Picchu - hiking and more

    December 12, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Having tried (in vain) to repair our apparently leaky mat during the nights, we did not get much sleep and got up at 04:30 to climb up to the gates of Machu Picchu. With us were some 100 other early birds who marched up the stairs.

    The resulting pole position at the beginning of the queue to enter at 06:00 did not incredibly pay off as the mountain remained misty and in clouds until ~08:00 :-) Therefore, we first hiked to the Inka bridge, a very narrow path on the cliffs which culminates in a bridge made of a couple of planks to cross a gap in the stonework. Again, we could see how the Inka were very skilled architects and built their empire based on skillfully connecting the remotest parts.

    Coming back to the main compound, we made our way quickly through the houses, temples, and yards to get to the entrance to the Huayna Picchu Park area, the “smaller peak” overlooking the ruins. We decided to do the full circle, first climbing the peak of Huayna Picchu and then descending on the back to pass by the temple of the moon and back via some cliff stairs again :-) despite the many warnings, the way is actually in really good shape and as long as one is not afraid of heights it’s a doable and worthwhile hike! And we were lucky that the clouds parted as we were at the top!

    We then exited and re-entered (stupid Machu Picchu one-way circuits do not allow for going back...) to enjoy the by now sunny view over the ruins and even meet the one or other llama grazing on the terraces.

    At 12:30 we started to hike down, needing to pack our tent and backpacks and catch the train back to Ollantaytambo.

    Sitting on the train, eating some expensive icecream the legs started to feel tired and heavy. But we were glad to have seen Machu Picchu - a truly extraordinary site.
    Read more