Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    "Trekking" the Argentina-Chile border

    January 14, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today’s “adventure” was getting from Los Antiguos to Chile Chico. Distance by air: 6km, by road 14km. Very helpfully, transportation services have been suspended for over a year as the governments could not agree upon tariffs and duties for the respective national transportation companies.

    So, we set out early at 07:30 and used a cab for the first part, 4km to the Argentinian border. 2 hours later we had “trekked” to Chile - no luck on the hitchhiking front and 8kms down. Still, we had to continue for 3 more kilometers. Finally, a nice Chilean gentleman took us for the final 1.5km. Overall a humbling experience...

    After two nights on the party camping ⛺️ of Los Antiguos and the earlier night on the night bus 🚌 from El Chaltén, we decided to spent more money today and found a really nice hotel where we relaxed the afternoon and then roamed around the small town. The views from the somewhat futuristic viewing platform over the Lago Gral Carrera were great and we also visited the lake shore as well as the Central park - which had a bouldering wall ;-)

    Evening was relaxed as well - homemade curry and a new haircut for Bert :-))))
    Read more