Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Discovering Kashan: mosque, bazaar

    March 25, 2018 in Iran ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    For Anna it was the second morning with yoga in the hostel corridor (after the curtain on the first floor it‘s okay not to wear the veil and behave like being “at home“).

    We then gathered yesterday’s laundry from the roof top and packed our backpacks to get ready for Kashan. Before, we visited the former US embassy which, unfortunately, was closed. So we only looked at the anti-US/Israel propaganda.

    Afterwards we made our way to the southern bus terminal and had no trouble to find a bus to Kashan. In the bus, we met an Iranian who offered to drive us to our hotel. So nice! The hotel is a traditional house with mud walls, very authentic and nice. Also, it is pleasantly cool which helps in Kashan’s desert climate.

    We went out in the late afternoon to visit the Agha Bozork Mosque 🕌. The site was beautiful and we were lucky to start a conversation with Fatima, a 21-year old student from Kashan. She showed us around the mosque (and was not discouraged by a somewhat grumpy and impolite Mullah who corrected her on some rather minor detail). We then walked with her to the bazaar and invited her to drink tea with us in a very nice former hammam-turned-tea house. The owner let us in for free as wanted to “honor the Iranian-German friendship”. 😄

    The tea tasted excellent and was accompanied by a set of cookies, dates, candy sugar and cinnamon. We additionally ordered roasted eggplant spread and the next time we looked at our watch it was already 19:30! Time had flown by so quickly! 🙃 Before saying goodbye to Fatima, we still sneaked up on the roof of the bazaar which was really cool. It is also built with mud and has domes sticking out with small holes in the middle to let some air but no heat into the bazaar alley below...

    As we were not really hungry anyways, we went home, picking up some oranges and apples at a food stall as a dinner substitute 🍊 🍎
    Read more