Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Picton

    March 28, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Today's port was Picton.
    As I mentioned previously, one of New Zealand's main exports is timber. Here is one of the yards that holds the timber and fills orders. The ship was docked next to the yard, so lunch was spent watching them move logs from one pile to another and then stacking the logs higher.
    We also went into the city centre of Picton. It was small and quaint with several little shops and restaurants.

    In the afternoon, I went Marlborough to visit a vineyard and go to a chocolate factory Makana where no chocolate is molded. It's either rolled into balls by hand or cut with a knife.
    I also learned a few more facts about the cities:
    ▪︎First, the railroad here has narrow rails since they go through lots of tunnels (video 1). Thus, the freight cars are narrower too.
    ▪︎Ferry has been going since 1962 (previously steam ships). It takes people, their vehicles, and railcars also ride right onto the ferry as well!
    ▪︎Willow trees were planted to help with erosion a few decades ago. However, they've spread like wildfire causing them to affect the wetlands. They have to "kill" the new sprouts, but they keep the native willow trees. In the video (2nd one), the sticks seen/recorded are the willows that were killed. It rained this afternoon, so it was a challenge to get good pictures.
    The chocolate was good. 😁
    Read more