Satellite
Show on map
  • Getting to Iceland and Back

    September 4, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    Our vacations of the past have always involved campers, back packs, or motorhomes, but since Iceland is an island and our motorhome does not float, we decided to fly there and back.
    Planning air travel is quite different than just packing the motorhome and driving away. It involves finding a flight there and back that lets us meet up with the workshop, but also have some time to visit the tourist sites that the workshop won’t. We considered extending after the workshop but found that getting a flight that would come in right when we needed to meet up was difficult. So, we opted to come in early and rent a car for a week before the workshop.

    The travel information online suggested days of the week that were cheaper. We ended up getting tickets from United and its affiliates. Ticket pricing is a tricky thing. We found that the cheapest ticket, you also had to pay for checked bags. However, the for just a little more, one checked bag was free. And as it turned out, the more expensive route was $20 less expensive.

    Going to Iceland will involve changing planes in LA and Toronto and will take about 17 hours with layovers. Getting back is entirely different. It seems all flights (on United) from Iceland go to Frankfurt, Germany where there is a 12-hour layover. Then it’s on to Chicago and Denver and finally home to Reno for a total of about 39 hours.

    So, I guess we will be visiting Europe on this trip, though we will likely not leave the Frankfurt airport. The trip is currently planned for leaving on September 27th and returning home on October 17th. Of course, there could be delays and cancelations to potentially deal with in route.
    Read more