Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Iceland American style...

    October 13, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 45 °F

    We decided to rent a car at the airport for our final three days in Iceland. Jill made reservations a couple of days ago with Lagoon Car Rentals online. We thought when the group returned the van we would pick up our car...oops no Lagoon rentals at the drop off place and no one seems to know where they are located. We go into the airport terminal and call them. Please stand by ... the information desk and we will see a man with a card. Finding information desk was easy, it was bright orange, and finally the guy showed up and their shuttle was right-out front. No waiting for the airport shuttle bus. Their office was off campus...but it actually is less hassle, not crowded and way cheaper. Only problem was the gas tank only half full.

    On the way into town we saw a Costco! According to the Costco station guy (an American) it is the cheapest gas in Iceland. At just over $6 per gallon, this is about $2 per gallon less than the average price.

    Our Air BnB is in the suburbs. But it’s clean and quiet. I was so tired after we got to the room, I didn’t feel like finding our way in the dark around the big city just to eat. So, we went to an Icelandic place just off our highway exit. A combination KFC and Taco Bell, but they didn’t have extra crispy.
    Read more