Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 196

    Greek Islands Day 5: Poros

    July 15, 2015 in Greece ⋅ 29 °C

    Today has been one of the best days. We arrived on an island that I have really enjoyed and we had a sailing race!!!

    This was probably the highlight to be honest. All 14 boats raced around and island today on our way to Poros. As there are big boats and little boats and we are the smallest, we all had staggered starts to try and even it out. So, how it went.

    Each boat had to be manned only by the crew / drunk & hangover guests / wannabe sailors, not the skipper. The skippers were only allowed to give advice. We had one person manning (steering), two people on either side to pull the sail around and one person pulling the middle sail if need by. Our only guy on board was hung over and sick so he slept and the girls powered on haha.

    It was so much fun! My arms hurt for days after as it was my job to tighten something with a spanner thing. I'll have to ask dad for the actual words. We came 6th of our 14 boats, which was pretty awesome! The boat that did win was an all female boat! Which was awesome.

    After all the excitement our reward was to pull up on side 1 of Poros where we would do water sports activities and have lunch. After lunch we decided that we'd go with the boat to dock and then walk back. On our way to walking to the water sports, say 10 mins in, we meet a couple coming back who looked dehydrated and desperately asking where they close to the boats.

    We said of course. Alex had said it was a 20 min walk, if that. These poor souls, as did everyone else who got off at the water sports area, had to work around 40 mins during the hottest part of the day!! We decided to heed the warning and headed back to a local bar now our boat instead and chill out for the afternoon.

    Once it had cooled down I walked around the island for a bit and came across a sign that said there would be live music at 7:30pm. So at 8pm Whitney and I found ourselves sitting in bar watching live music in the courtyard, whilst watching the sunset.

    Dinner tonight is in a Greek restaurant. I order moussaka and finally a decent red wine. We are also granted with lemoncello for dessert. It's quite interesting how the Italian, Mediterranean, and Turkish foods cross over quite a bit.

    Tonight’s activities are dancing and drinking at a local nightclub. A quick story. While we were docked in Spetses we were in awe of the flash yachts with wait staff docked near us. When we were in Hydra, watching the sunset, we recognised a couple that were on one of the boats and one of the girls on my boat started up a conversation with them.

    We learnt that they were from America, he owes a Botox surgery and they sail Greece ever summer. They were having great laughs and stories. When we learnt that they were also travelling to Poros, we said we’d see them there. When Bethany saw them today she said they should come to the club with us tonight, and that’s exactly what happened.

    Well at least the old bloke did, he wife stayed on the yacht. He did however bright a staff member and a friend who apparently owns the yacht. So all-night he bought rounds of shots for whomever was in the vicinity. Needless to say he had loads of friends tonight haha.
    Read more