Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 7 Onwards to the adventure

    March 25, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Today is the start of the real adventure! After all our months of planning and putting things into place we can finally say here we go!

    Had our last buffet breaky at The Holiday Express Inn... John had packed our car and spent considerable time trying to figure out the Nav we don’t have but we do???

    Off we set towards our destination making the decision to head off the Motorway to go along the country roads as that is where life is happening!

    Our first stop was Henley On Thames where the hold the Long Row boats regattas. What a truly wonderful delight this stop turned out to be, it wasn’t planned just happened due to the amazing looking bridge we spotted as we drove into town! The plan was to keep going but after crossing the bridge we couldn’t help ourselves.
    We parked and John’s first challenge was to work out how to use the parking meter box.... apparently it was even challenging for the locals as well!
    The weather here is a winters day in Biloela, but unlike Bilo it doesn’t rise above 10 so with a sneaky wind really baring down , we venture out to check out this little village!
    What a truly wonderful delight it turned out to be filled with unreal history and buildings that left us in awe. So much to take in so much history we can’t comprehend!

    We walked around the bridge up the street and too my delight I found a whole street of amazing old doors, I am sure many must have been hobbits in the past as the doors were so short!
    Many of the buildings had crooked supports that were 100’s of years old still supporting these unreal old buildings. It made us laugh as we checked out just how crooked they really were.

    Sadly after taking heaps of door shots and seeing long row boats rowing up the Thames, it was time to head off!

    Our next stop was Tesco found accidentally, but it was time to stock up on food to cut costs! A trolley load later we had all our goodies, just having to remind ourselves everything is double what we pay at home!

    Loaded with goodies we head off to our last port of call to the White Horse in the hill...... the roads we knew would be narrow but this time we have a bit bigger car so more of a challenge to not side swipe someone or be side swiped. We made it to the spot we had planned on to discover it was up a hill that you had to walk to amongst the sheep, plus the poor, and the wind!

    So off we set realising it would take a lot longer than we had, as we had set a time of 3pm to meet Marsha our Airbnb host!
    So after walking in amongst the Lee and poo of the Sheep and unable to get up closer to the Whitehorse made in the 1500 with chalk stone hammered into the hill side in the shape of a white horse! We decided to head off in a hurry to meet out deadline, only after getting in the car and realising it was later than realised we decided to contact Marsha to tell her sorry we are running late!

    She was great about it and told us how to get into our room as she would be out when we arrived!

    We finally made it to Bradford on Avon but discovered that we couldn’t access the road to get to the Airbnb. Seems after we tried for many roads and ways to get there we phoned Marsha to ask how do we get there! Marsha who had been in London all weekend suddenly remembered they were doing up the bridge in town. So with new instructions off we set through the neighbouring village only very big village Trowbridge to do a backwards way to get to our home for the next 3 nights.

    Once here, the reality of this Airbnb even though private was in someone’s back yard and really we aren’t sure about Sharing space with others, but with no opinion this is it! Not all Airbnb’s are about sharing your personal space but to a point when you are in someone’s backyard in cute cottage it’s still their space!

    Well here we are and have to make the best of it on meeting Marsha who was a lot younger than we thought and really lovely what more can you want.

    Plans may be a bit different we had thought but still ok, so here we go fi the next few nights to enjoy the sights of this area and if today is any indication it will be wonderful.

    I had soup, John had nuked bangers and mash we have plenty, and have just realised we won’t have a fridge in the next few places, buggar got too much for the fridge see how we go,
    Read more