Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 8 Delighting in old

    March 26, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Our little cabin in the backyard is turning out not too bad! We set off after another restless night to discover the delights of Bradford on Avon.... and she didn’t disappoint. The wonderful quaintness of all the old buildings were different to many other small villages. On a quick look we thought this one was small to but it’s actually quite large!
    Walking to see the delights we pass by all the terrace buildings all cloned and without personality... Compared to the buildings of old we really have a lot to answer for ours in the last 70-30 yrs are really bland! But they are home to many and after talking to John about it decided if we knew no different we guess we would be living the same! Fortunately we don’t live like this!

    The town itself is built around the Avon River also not very big, but quite pretty and has a lot to offer the people who use it! Some of the houses are built right on the water line unreal when you think about how they did it back in the day! No modern equipment to help them prepare the River banks, just mans hands and simple tools!

    We spent a good few hours walking around and at every turn finding more quaint buildings and sights!
    A cuppa in a warm very large coffee shop with dogs in it, dogs can come into the shops here it would seem and as the floors were wood every time they barked it echoed something terrible! Not looking forward to a total dog friendly country but it is coming in Aus, we can see the writing on the wall! Not that I dislike dogs, I just feel and this is me Restaurants and coffee shops should have them outside.... but with the weather so cold here no one wants to sit outside, hence the dogs inside!
    Our last sight to visit was the Barton Farm and massive most amazing Tithe Barn, the workmanship in the barn with the wood ceiling is just unreal and so beautifully built!

    We headed back to our little abode to make some lunch with all the food we bought, has to be eaten.
    Then off to Lacock another wonderful old village used in the Harry Potter fins for its buildings. So very different to Bradford on Avon, but as interesting as here but different. Again we wandered around checking out the unreal old buildings some in Tudor style that had the most crooked twisted wood supports that are centuries old yet... are still doing the job of holding the houses together! Unreal to see just how it all works even today!

    A cuppa had in old tea house, we didn’t go to the Abbey as planned it’s the main reason people come here, the cost was a bit much with us on a budget it has to be just look from a far for me I am afraid!

    Joh has come down with a flew so once back home I had to dole him up the. He slept for over 2 hrs so late dinner after 8pm here and agin our own goodies.

    Another wonderful day of adventuring to see the sights!
    Read more