Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 20

    THE FINAL RUN

    12 мая 2023 г., Австралия

    Gosh we slept in a late night ha ha 9pm slept in until 7am….rare for us…very cold night…really didn’t want to venture out of bed so cold...but did around 3amish….out of routine at present…coffee after packing up my brain 🧠 can’t cope…I need that coffee before eating…
    Decided to pack what we could in case this was our last day on the track and it turned out that’s what it was….😢
    So once all the dirt stiff packed in the car got cloths out for next 2 days….mind you about to wash my cloths so won’t need these but something different to wear….
    Then cooked a full brekky…Bacon Eggs and toast...I had defrost the Bacon 🥓 in the Vans microwave but once done all good to go….Brekky around the fire but the flies started to find us…they have been really bad since Woomera….flies and food do your head in…
    While sitting there having our brekky a huge shift in the weather you could feel a really cool breeze, because this morning was actually really warm…with the cool breeze was a Morning glory type rolled in of fog…but not enough to cause issues…still very different from other mornings…
    As we thought this could be our last night on the track I Changed the sheets which will be nice…but I bet they will do my head in with the fact I have sewn a crn into the top end to stop it slipping down the mattress….

    We packed for our last time so it turned out very sad it’s come to an end…we could quite easily have done another week on the track if more water and fuel….food wasn’t as always an issue...I always over cater….
    Sheryl and Dave headed off around 8.45am slower start for them as well….we headed off at 0915am… didn’t catch up to them until an hour and half later….
    We passed them then finally all met up at the Dog fence where we had our M/tea at then…once feed up on crunchy damper from bits of gravel getting into it. 🤔 Bill won’t drive down the section No Public Access….Sheryl and Dave headed there…I asked John to wait find out what they found…but impatient John headed south…he tried to back around and hooked the camper into the Dog Fence causing it to break a small section of the fence I couldn’t believe he did it….now at Coober Pedy we see it fractured a section of the cone again 😢😡. ….then I had to clear bush for him to turn around...when he heard they actually had found the windmill….it as supposed to have a stone layout like we found earlier in the trail which turned out to be 1,000 of yrs old…so where these…but all we actually found in the end as a great trough, windmill, well and an old car that Sheryl decided we should get a shot in together on self timer….. a bit of fun…there were a few relics in the area to check out but no 1,000 yr old stones that we could see like the other place we went to….
    John in his made rush took off leaving the Vans for dead…they poked along…we flew away like a crazy bird…didn’t see them again except for a quick pic as we passed them heading along the western side if the Dog fence we were on the Eastern side….
    From here we flew into the next section of road which was very corrugated until around Marble Stn where the road became graded…we pulled up for late lunch around 2pm in a creek bed that had recently had flooding in it you could see it around the tree stumps the level it had come through…Our lunch was not that not far from homestead so very mindful of the area we were in…Again The flies were awful …just before arriving there John d discovered the reserve radiator tank as cracked…Bill and John glued it up…that did seem to help us limp into Coober Pedy…
    We got some pics at the main turn off that takes you onto the track…even a Shelter Shed that had lots of info on the dos and don’ts of the track ahead….which we had just finished 🤔🤣!

    The Scene coming into Coober Pedy was truly unreal. Mounds of white and cream, to beige coloured earth making it look like a lunar scape…un truly believable to see it….all of a sudden we got phone reception back and life in an instant changed to modern not remote…the pluses and the minuses of being back in civilisation is a bonus and negative…,very confused as to what’s the way forward..,,
    I rang Dad straight up…he had Sel and Jeff with him…..texted Jill…
    Sheryl and Dave made it here didn’t stay on the track as they thought they would..….
    Life changes in a blink of an eye…
    On book in to the motel The lady serving us had the largest boobies….no bra not a good look….
    The book in was a bit crazy ha ha…she never stopped talking about having had Covid…coughing and warding her mask in case…
    We ended up choosing to have Dinner with the Vans and Bill at the Outlander….Very nice meals and set up….

    The story of the Dingo Fence or Dog Fence is a pest-exclusion fence in Australia to keep dingoes out of the relatively fertile south-east part of the continent (where they have largely been exterminated) and protect the sheep flocks of southern Queensland. It is one of the longest structures in the world. It stretches 5,614 kilometres (3,488 mi)[1] from Jimbour on the Darling Downs near Dalby through thousands of kilometres of arid land ending west of Eyre peninsula on cliffs of the Nullarbor Plain[2] above the Great Australian Bight[3] near Nundroo.[4] It has been partly successful, though dingoes can still be found in parts of the southern states. Although the fence has helped reduce losses of sheep to predators, this has been countered by holes in fences found in the 1990s through which dingo offspring have passed[2] and by increased pasture competition from rabbits and kangaroos.
    Читать далее