Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Gangtok - Waiting for better roads

    October 10, 2022 in India ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    We arrived in Gangtok! The biggest city in sikkim. We start to enjoy the trip a lot more because the people are really kind and the mountainscapes are just mindboggeling. We try to organize some trips to the nearby lakes and figured out we need for everything a guide around here. might be a workaround to support the local economy but we don't mind. Our guide is a nice young guy, he shows us around and cares for permits which you need as a foreigner for nearly everything. We are able to visit a nearby mountain lake at 3.400m altitude and find some grumpy yaks. We enjoy the cold humid weather and some momos with milktea 🥰. Its amazing that you can buy these tasty little snacks at each corner. you will sit in a metal shack on plastic chairs but still think there is nothing better on earth right now.

    Our plan is to try to reach a high altitude hotel which is hard to reach. We get the information that the roads are closed because of heavy landslides. So we wait and hope the roads gets clear soon.

    In the meantime we discover gangtok and its food. There are dogs which are very friendly and we met our friend from switzerland again. what are the odds!
    Read more