Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Money, Mercades, and Monegasques

    August 13, 2023 in Monaco ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    It’s on to country 14 and the world’s second smallest country- Monaco.

    If Cannes is moneyed, Monaco is minted. Designer brands make up the bulk of shops in Monte Carlo, with brands like Alexander McQueen, Versace, Armani and Louboutin lining the streets surrounding the famous casino. Monaco is in itself a micro-state and one of the wealthiest countries in the world. With just over 9000 nationals, known as Monegasques (try saying that three times fast), the country boasts a total population of 38,682- one in 3 of whom are millionaires and all of whom are squeezed into a space smaller than Hyde park in London making it one of the most densely populated countries on the planet.

    The casino itself, famed by its association with James Bond, is an interesting place. Envisioned by Princess Caroline, it was built to save the royal family (The Grimaldis) from bankruptcy. The princess also banned the citizens of Monaco from entering the gaming rooms of the casino. Still to this day, no Monegasques are allowed to gamble or even work at the casino and you have to show your passport to enter the building. Until very recently the casino was the main source of income for both Monaco and the Grimaldi royal family- talk about making money off of foreigners!

    Casino aside, Monaco is a fascinating little place. It’s one of the most heavily policed countries with one police officer for every 73 residents. Almost all of its police officers are selected from the French police force. It has the highest life expectancy of any country in the world and it has over 12,000 millionaires in a space less than one square mile.

    As I’m on a shoe string with no budget for shopping or gambling, I’m off on another mission- to get a Monegasque passport stamp. Although Monaco is no longer officially allowed to stamp passports (which I’m rather disappointed about) they are happy to furnish visitors with a small card passport complete with the old Monaco stamp in it. After a hike to the tourist office, passing yachts and some of the fanciest cars I’ve ever seen, I leave triumphant, tourist passport in hand.
    Read more